Do you remember when you are about to fly, the stewards or stewardesses always go through safety procedures with all passengers?
They tell you to put on our oxygen mask first, before you help putting on the mask to other people.
We need to take a good care of ourselves first, before we can take care of others.
Why is self-care important?
According to the Oprah Magazine, the Covid-19 pandemic, high unemployment rate, and many other things, may make us stressed out and anxious. Therefore it has even become more important to focus on our self-care.
Verywellmine.com suggests that there are 5 areas of self-care to focus on:
1. Physical self-care. Do you take care of your body? Do you exercise regularly? Do you get enough sleep?
2. Social self-care. Having close connections is significant to your wellbeing.
However, it may be hard to find time to meet with your family and friends, especially now during the pandemic. Do you get enough face-to-face time with your family and friends (even if it is online)? How do you nurture your relationship with your family and friends?
3. Mental self-care. Doing the things that stimulate your mental is important. What can you do to develop yourself continuously and stimulate your brain? At the same time, practicing acceptance and self-compassion is important, as well.
4. Spiritual self-care. You don’t have to have a religion to do a spiritual self-care. Naturing your spirit is about developing a deeper sense of meaning and connection to the universe. I myself was raised Catholic. I went to a Catholic school and was active in church. I don’t go to church at the moment, due to the pandemic; however, I do pray. Having faith helps me to keep calm. I do believe that there is light in the end of the tunnel.
5. Emotional self-care. How do you express your emotion? Do you do things to help you recharge? People have different ways to express their emotions. Some people just need to talk to others to feel relieved; while the introverts may have other ways. I have various ways to express my emotion, including playing music, writing a journal, cooking, and talking to family and friends. Additionally, writing a blog is a kind of therapy for me.
More about practicing self-care?
Pyschology Today gives some tips about self-care.
- Reduce your stress. Try to wind down before you go to bed. To manage your stress, you can read this article about stress management: https://bertiesuwardi.com/stress-management-tips/
- Say no to others, and say yes to your self-care.
- Take a self-care trip. You don’t have to have an expensive trip. You can just drive to somewhere you can feel calm, and relax.
- Get outside. Taking a walk while breathing the fresh air is good for your body and soul.
- Get organised.
- Schedule your self-care time. If you have a meeting you attend the meeting on time. Why don’t you schedule your self-care time that is just as important as your business meetings?
People have various personalities and various ways to do self-care.
Do a foot spa at home
I bought some massage oils, foot bath, as a part of my new self-care routine. At home I can just soak my feet in the foot bath, and have a massage therapy. It feels so relaxing to do a food spa. You can definitely try this yourself.
Write a daily journal
Try to write a journal every day. Writing about the things that you are grateful for can help you have a more positive attitude towards life. Count your blessings.
Take a walk
Taking a walk has many benefits. When taking a walk, you actually exercise and at the same time you can enjoy the view, and breathe the fresh air. When the weather is not nice to go out, you can still try to walk indoor. The most important thing is that you move.
According to The New York Times, a hormone released during exercise may improve brain health and lessen the damage that occurs during dementia.
I like walking as it is one of the easiest physical exercises to do. You do not need any equipment or a fancy gym suit to walk. You can just wear any comfortable cloth and shoes to walk.
Take time to do your hobby or interest
Try to spend time on your hobby or something that you are interested in. If you like playing music, try to do it regularly as it may help you relax. If you like painting, sport or other things, just do it.
One of my hobbies is playing piano. Playing piano helps me express my feeling and relax.
How do you practice self-care?
We would like to hear from you. Please share your thoughts or experience in how you practice self-care in the comment section below. ✏️✏️✏️