Moving to a new country can be challenging, thus it is necessary to get the right support groups to help you stand on your own feet in the new place.
Why do you need support groups?
Living in a new country is like restarting your life from zero. You have to start getting new friends, a new job, learn about new cultures and possibly a new language.
Therefore, it is really important to get support groups to make it easier for you to go through the transition you need, and adjust yourself better.
Support groups for each individual
Each individual needs different support groups. International students may need international and local student groups, mentors, etc. Some people may need support groups in terms of:
- Culture and language: mentors or friends who can introduce the new country’s culture and language
- Career advice: a group that can provide information about career
- Business: an organisation that provides information on business and industry in the new country
Moving to Sweden 3 years ago, I have found some support groups for myself, including:
- Culture and language: my Swedish friends support me to teach me about Swedish culture
- Life and faith: I have friends here and in Australia with whom I speak about life in general
- International environment: I join international groups
It is important for you to be able to identify your own support groups, so that you know whom to contact in case you need an assistance.