One of my Swedish colleagues shared her family traditional recipe of Swedish fish soup. She puts white fish in the soup, but you can put any kinds of fish. I use salmon in the fish soup.
Fresh fish is not sold in always sold in supermarkets in Luleå, northern Sweden. It is available only in some big supermarkets.
If you are looking for frozen fish, you can find it in local supermarkets.
I am not a fan of frozen fish. Our family prefers having fresh fish. Therefore we usually eat fish in summer. During summer, the fishermen come to Norra hamn (the North Harbour) or Södra hamn (the South Harbour) with their boats to sell their fresh fish. They come on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays at 4-6pm.
According to Swedish Lapland, here is the list of fish in Swedish Lapland:
- Öring (salmo trutta)
- Harr (thymallus thymallus)
- Bas or Abborre (perca fluviatilis)
- Storskallesik (coregonus peled)
- Gädda (esoxlucius)
- Elritsa (phoxinus phoxinus)
- Kanadaröding (salvelinus namaycush)
- Siklöja (coregonus albula)
- 500g fish. You can use white fish or salmon.
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 chopped leek
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 6-8 potatoes, depending on the size (6 big potatoes or 8 small potatoes)
- 2 carrots
- 250 ml cream
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- fresh thyme
- salt and pepper
- 700 ml water
- 1 cube of fish broth (Optional. If you do not have it, it is fine not to put it in. I actually don’t use it, and it still tastes delicious)
- coriander for garnish (Optional)
Time needed: 30 minutes.
HOW TO COOK SWEDISH FISH SOUP
- Chop the vegetables
Finely chop the onion, leek, and garlic. Chop the potatoes and carrots into small cubes.
- Heat the pan
Put a little bit of oil in the pan.
- Cook the vegetables
Fry the garlic and onion for about 1-2 minutes. Add in the potatoes and carrots.
Add the water.
- Cut the fish into small cubes.
Put the fish into the pan.
- Add in the fish broth
- Add the tomatoes.
Add in the leek, fresh thyme, and lemon juice.
- When it is boiled, put the cream in the soup and mix it.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can add in chopped coriander for garnish (optional).